April has been a slow blogging month for me; I took some time off work, been busy with other things, etc, etc…. I’ve failed miserably at keeping to my New Year’s resolution of writing a blog post twice a week.
The NAFSA Annual Conference is fast approaching, and thousands of international educators will be descending onto the steamy hot streets of Houston, TX at the end of May. Me included, and I’m looking forward to some tantalizing Tex Mex and good sticky BBQ (oh, and meeting colleagues of course!).
The NAFSA Annual Conference is a fantastic opportunity for international educators to learn more about their field and what’s happening in international ed around the world. It’s a great platform for professional development, but what about those people who can’t make it to NAFSA or who feel they want to start out with something a bit more manageable? (the conference can be overwhelming)
I’ve put together a list of professional development and training opportunities for people working in international education. Some are web-based and low-cost, others require travel to a specific location and considerably higher-cost.
- Mandy’s Mashups: Using Pintrest in International Education Mandy’s Mashups offers different online workshops throughout the year, all focused on using social media in international education.
- MelibeeU: professional development/training You’ll see a variety of different online workshops. US-focused, but could still be of interest to people elsewhere.
- Small Planet Studio: Professional Development for Intercultural Educators A variety of online workshops/teleclasses aimed mostly at people wanting to get into the field of international/intercultural education. Small Planet is also offering a free podcast, Tips for getting into the International Education field.
- The European Association for International Education (EAIE): Autumn Academy 2012 This is an intensive training academy offering a number of courses focused on internationalization, international admissions and intercultural communication which takes place over five days on location in Portugal.
- iE&D: Staff development & training workshops This European consulting firm offers a number of different workshops mostly focused on international student recruitment which they can deliver upon request.
You’ll notice the online podcasts/webinars/training sessions are offered by consultants based in the USA, so they will be US-centric. If anyone knows of similar opportunities offered by UK or European consultants, please feel free to contact me, and I’ll add the information here!